Camp Breakdown: Wednesday (Morning)

[Editor’s Note:  While I am not going to include every source link, please note that all the sources consist of the sites (and Twitter accounts of their writers) that are featured in our blogroll on the right hand side of this page.]

The Passers

Brad Childress was seen spending a little extra time with Joe Webb today, particularly during the third team installs.

Tarvaris Jackson had a couple of nice passes including one to Greg Lewis with Madieu Williams in tight coverage.

Sage Rosenfels launched a 40 yard pass that lacked enough power, but Logan Payne was still able to beat out Marcus Sherels and make the grab.

The Runners

Both Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhart got reps with the first team, Albert young with the second team, and Darius Reynaud with the third team.

At one point, Toby Gerhart was knocked down by Letroy Guion, ensuring that Gerhart’s camp continues to be one that involves him getting knocked around a good deal.

At one point, while the third team was on the field, Ian Johnson missed a blocking assignment and Joe Webb would have been sacked.

The Pass Catchers

Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, and Visanthe Shiancoe were still not practicing, although Rice and Shiancoe did some individual work.  Jimmy Kleinsasser practiced.  Rice was seen running as hard as he has all camp, but all the work was in a straight line with no cutting.

At one point Joe Webb tossed up a hail mary, and despite five defenders, Ray Small was able to come down with the ball.

Running down the sideline, Taye Biddle was being covered by DeAndre Wright on a Rosenfels pass, but Biddle tipped the ball into the air and was able to find it again and make the circus catch for about a 30 yard gain.

The Blockers

Anthony Herrera practiced, and John Sullivan did not.

The Front Four

On the hail mary touchdown, Pat Brown got beat bad by Mike Montgomery, and had this been a real game Joe Webb likely would have been sacked before he threw the touchdown.

The Linebackers

J Leman remained sideline for the practice.

The Secondary

Jamarca Sanford practiced with the starters today over Tyrell Johnson.  Safety Colt Anderson nearly picked off Joe Webb at one point, but the ball went in and out of his hands.

Chris Cook and Asher Allen worked with the second team defense with Antoine Winfield and Lito Sheppard getting the start.

Rookie Chris Cook broke up a 50 yard Tarvaris Jackson pass which was intended for Bernard Berrian.

The Special Teams

Long Snapper Cullen Loeffler has returned to practice after his wife gave birth to their son.  His return undoubtedly helped Ryan Longwell go 6 for 6 on field goals.

Lito Sheppard, Marcus Sherels, Darius Reynaud, and Ray Small were practicing punt returns.  Reynaud dropped one when Colt Anderson and Jamarca Sanford were closing in on him.

Chris Cook continued to shine as a special teams gunner when he was able to down a Chris Kluwe punt inside the 5 yard line.  Benny Sapp just missed downing one.

21 Responses to “Camp Breakdown: Wednesday (Morning)”

Thanks Adam. Lots of names that won’t be wearing purple in a few weeks, but here’s their chance.

During this time of lull…, lets have suggestions for a theme for the Vikes in 2010, like the famous “40 for 60” in ’69. As mentioned earlier, I offer the theme “One Less Man in the Huddle in 2010”

2. Tomb... says:

I am not certain, but I think “one less man in the huddle” is already taken by a lesbian website, Coach.

3. starrc10 says:

I say we always play with 10 guys on the field, that way if we do accidentally get that extra fella, no big deal.

Ten in 2010.

In other news, does anyone remember that play against Green Bay when Ben Leber brought down Jermichael Finley for no gain on the 2-3 yard line? That was such a great tackle. Ben Leber is a man.

Did Sully break his damn leg or what? He needs the reps as much as anybody.

5. Adam Warwas says:

Okay guys, here’s the deal. I won’t be watching Saturday’s preseason game live because of the programming here in AK (and I’m a cheap bastard that refuses to pay an extra $40 to watch fake games a day earlier than they’ll play on NFLN).

So, I am willing to do a live chat during the game, keeping in mind that I won’t be watching but rather will jsut be chatting and saying things like “Was it McKinnie’s fault!?!”

Or, we can pass ont he live chat and I can go fishing. I’ll leave it up to you all and see how heavy the demand is for a live chat.

Thanks,

Adam

That could be alot of fun Adam. We could really screw with your mind.

Adam, I can’t factor into this decision as I will not be around the tube for the game. If you can believe this (drum roll please) I am going to be attending the PGA Championship in Kohler, Wisc. Golf! Can you believe it? No, I can’t either. What I do for my boys, I tell ya. If Tiger hits me with a ball, so help me I’m taking him out, so if you hear that happen, yup, its me.

I’ll look forward to hearing what you guys think of the opener.

6. CalVkg says:

fade the chat

when is favre’s doctors appt? it’s this week, right? so…

7. Ole says:

Go fishing Adam! You ain’t gonna be doing much of that when the baby comes around.

Fragile Freds is out of work, maybe he could do the live chat

Morning all. A live chat would be cool, I’d stop by. Ill be listening on radio, I’m a cheap bastard too AK.

This game will be cool, finally some Viking football. But it means little, and Im not that exited about it.
    But in four weeks there will be a game that means a great deal, and I cant wait. Yep, it all starts in 28 Ahmad Rashad days!

• starrc10 says:

I want to watch the game simply to watch the safeties play. I want to see if Johnson is pulling the trigger. He can be a play-maker if he starts letting loose.

IF not this is Sanford’s job to loose.

I was just watching Hard-Knocks, the show about Bengals training camp and the coaches were talking about a safety and how he was scared to pull the trigger and then Leslie said the same thing about Tyrell… so that is what I would be interested in hearing about.

Hey, starr, that could be our 2010 theme “Pull the Trigger”. You know, go for it, do or die, damn the torpedoes, all that stuff.

Yup, safety is a big question mark in this pre-season. We heed a “hawker” and a “hitter” back there.

I like that theme Coach. Well done

9. Viking John says:

Tomorrow is Freddies day? 27 days until?
    Would make him proud. Or is it 27 more cases of 45’s
    Go Vikes

Adam, Enjoy going fishing…

11. Tomb... says:

Adam, et al:

Being a west coaster myself, I had to find alternative methods for watching the Vikings. The Sunday Ticket was/is too damned expensive, and the bar really is no better.

Try this:

Go to ATDHE.NET and you can watch pretty much any NFL game live. The quality isn’t very good, but I found if I run it through my PS3 into the TV, it’s at least serviceable, as opposed to trying to watch it on a laptap.

Try it out tonight on any of the preseason games you may be interested in and see what you think.

For Tombs, the ol’ lady’s a Raider fan, so I’ll be watching that tonight.

But anyways, to recap: the quality’s not great, but it’s free.