Spielman – Vikings to Go Younger in 2011

VP of player Rick Spielman said the team will be a younger team next season and rookies will be asked to play roles next season, reports Chip Scoggins, of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “We’re going to be a younger team for sure going into next season,” Spielman said. “Rookies are going to get forced into action. They are going to have to step up and play. I also have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff and their history of developing young guys and getting them ready to play.”

9 Responses to “Spielman – Vikings to Go Younger in 2011”

1. hookem says:

Anybody read the story about Joe Webb and Vikings practices during the lockout? I really hope this guy proves a lot of people wrong and becomes our starter and produces. He is saying all the right things and his taking the leader role. How can anybody root against this guy???

• Malte says:

I hope that is true, cause I hope this guy will stay with us, either as a QB or as a wildcat QB, cause we might need that next year.. But he is so talented so I want him on this team..

Hell, how could we not be younger than last year? If Fat Pat and Banjo Favre (and probably Leber) aren’t on the team, the average age drops by 8 years with just those two old bastards.

Agree on Jumpin’ Joe. Freds hopes he does well, but please let’s not bank on it. Address the problem at QB, we need to assume Joe isn’t the solution and if he turns out to be a good one, great, if not then we haven’t gone TJack on the decision.

Hey Freds,

Geez Spielman nothing like stating the obvious. I’m really starting to wonder about this guy, he must be getting stressed out.

3. Vikadan11 says:

I really like what I saw from Webb ~ The thing that sticks out to me is he ran the scout team for the first 13 weeks and then stepped in as the starting QB ~ It’s not like he was the #2 and learning the teams offense all season ~

As for drafting a QB high ~ Not this year IMHO ~ If Luck was coming out I was say trade the farm to get him ~ But this years class has far to many question marks based on what I have heard (ESPN and such) and read on the internet ~ If the draft one I will pull for him to do well ~ But drafting a QB just for the sake will do nothing for the team but give it more years of heartaches like TJ did for the last 5 seasons ~ I have seen all of that kind of drafting I care to ~

4. wtfvikesfan says:

Source: Vikings to tag Chad Greenway
    EmailPrintComments
    ESPN.com news services
    The Minnesota Vikings will place the non-exclusive franchise tag Monday on linebacker Chad Greenway, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

NFC North blog
    ESPN.com’s Kevin Seifert writes about all things NFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

This means that neither wide receiver Sidney Rice nor defensive end Ray Edwards will be tagged and each potentially could become a free agent depending on what happens with the ongoing collective bargaining agreement talks. The current CBA will expire at the end of the day on March 3 and owners might lock out the players if a new deal isn’t signed.

Since the Vikings didn’t use the “exclusive” tag, Greenway can negotiate with other teams. If he receives an offer, the Vikings can either match the other club’s offer or receive two first-round draft choices as compensation.

The 28-year-old Greenway had a career-high 144 tackles last season.

Teams have until Thursday to use their franchise tag. So far, only quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Michael Vick have received exclusive franchise tags.

5. Dr. K says:

I understand Spielman’s statement about getting younger to mean the Vikings may not resign alot of our free agents. They are counting on last years and this coming years draft to really contribute. I’m glad Greenway has been tagged and Rice could still get the transition tag (whether these tags have any merit after the new CBA remains to be seen) but many of the other free agents may not be resigned. I know without a new CBA it’s tough to sign free agents but it would be nice to get a few signings done before the lockout. It like to see us kick the tires on Atogwe and/or Sanders as well as resign a few of our own. We still need to lock Greenway up long term, the guys going to be a beast for years to come.

6. wtfvikesfan says:

Hey everybody what do you think about Vikings drafting Cameron Jordan
    (Steve Jordan’s son) with Vikings first pick????